Butter – Eat It!

written by James May 18, 2017

Butter has a bad reputation for being high in fat, and even worse for being a much feared dairy product. But I’m hear to let you know butter is okay to eat even if you are dairy free. Here’s why –

Yes, butter is a dairy product of course. Anything made from milk is dairy, and butter certainly is made from milk. BUT, dairy isn’t some magical substance that causes allergic reactions and digestive issues, it’s just that a few components within dairy can irritate people. Namely, the protein and carbs within diary.

People who are allergic to diary are likely allergic to the proteins within it. The two proteins in milk are casein and whey. Guess what, butter has near 0 casein and whey in it!

People who ware lactose intolerant can’t effectively digest lactose (the carb in milk also known as milk sugar). Folks with digestive issues such as crohn’s, colitis, ibd, etc can also struggle with lactose digesting. Guess what, butter has near 0 lactose in it!

Milk on its own has a little bit of everything. It’s about 85% water, with a few percent fat (buttermilk), protein (casein and whey), carbohydrate (lactose aka milk sugar), and trace minerals as well. Not surprisingly it is a little of everything a baby would need to grow.

Butter is about 80% of the fat from milk (buttermilk), and the remaining 20% is water. Notice that there is no protein or carb. None of the stuff in dairy that typically irritates people.

So butter is good to go! Even on a dairy free diet most folk shouldn’t have adverse reaction to butter. Butter is even included on thy hyper restrictive Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) I assume because the authors recognized that it does not contain any lactose. For this reason SCD allows properly made yogurt and some cheeses for they too don’t contain any lactose.

Enjoy your butter!

You may also like

Leave a Comment